Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Moral Arc of the Universe Bends Toward Justice

While waiting for my paper of Desmond Tutu's God Has a Dream, I have been reading the Google version online. I thinks this is as profound an antidote to despair as I have seen.
This is a moral universe, which means that despite all the evidence that seems to be to the contrary, there is no way that evil and injustice and oppression and lies can have the last word. God is a God who cares about right and wrong. God cares about justice and injustice. God is in charge. That is what upheld the morale of our people, to know that in the end good will prevail. It was these higher laws that convinced me that our peaceful struggle would topple the immoral laws of apartheid.
As Tutu knows, our side is the winning side. Pragmatic acquiescence to injustice, for whatever reason, is always ultimately a losing strategy. The bad never serves the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment