Friday, August 28, 2009

A New Beginning

While I have been either away or busy for much of the summer, I will be resuming work on this blog over the next week or so.

When I started this blog six months ago, my goal was simply to start writing again after a ten year hiatus. At the time, one of my goals was to incorporate faith into a discussion of economics and public policy. And while I commented on faith issues from time to time, events (particularly the economic near death experience of the past year) and distractions in my own life seemed to steer this blog inexorably toward the low hanging fruit of comment on economic events and policy.

Hopefully, this will change over the coming weeks and months. While it is clear that catastrophe has been avoided, the ethical issues raised by the crisis remain, perhaps stronger than ever. For those whose faith is at the centre of their lives, these issues are particularly poignant.

If we can afford to subsidize the wealthy to the tune of trillions, it is surely now unconscionable to ignore the plight of the most vulnerable among us. This raises the question of what an economy is for and what role justice must play.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment