Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Revolution for Netbooks?


A story I have been following but haven't commented on is the Moblin linux based operating system for netbooks. Standing for mobile linux, Moblin is specially designed for the Intel Atom processor that powers these ultra-compact notebooks.

I use a somewhat dated Asus eee 2G Surf, with a smallish 7" screen. The netbook optimized Ubuntu 9.04 apparently works poorly with the small screen, but it seems that Moblin works fine. While I love the Asus I find the Xandros OS limiting. So I look forward to an OS designed from the ground up for these machines.

Indeed, sorting out a free and open source OS could spark a revolution in computing, making netbooks both cheap and ubiquitous. Hauling around a laptop is not practical but a netbook with small size, light weight and rugged design means it can be tossed in a book bag and provide internet access and an adequate office suite anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment